Thursday, October 8, 2020

Week 7 Story: Kubera's Tale

The Pandavas then departed for their exile to the Himalayas, a land filled with beauty from the mountain tops down to the valleys, overflowing with life and prosperity. When trying to find a place to rest for the night, they came across an enormous palace covered in gold and jewels that erupted in the middle of two mountains like a hot volcano. The brothers decided to knock on the door, and met the being who lived there - a man by the name of Kubera.

Kubera showed them around the palace ridden with the most expensive and rare jewelry they had ever seen, and offered the Pandava brothers a place to stay. 

He asked the brothers, "For why is it you all have come across this desolate land where nobody has visited in centuries? Not even the Sherpa's that work on Everest stop by to say hello."

The brothers told him the story of their exile, and then asked about Kubera's own history.

Kubera went on to tell them about his life and how it led to where it did.

"It all began when I was born. My father had two wives, one happened to be my mother, but the other woman happened to be the mother to the well-known demon named Ravana. Ravana was a demon and did no good in this world, always causing trouble and ruining lives. He attempted to steal Rama's wife, Sita. A foul act, something nobody could ever imagine doing."

"Ravana and I used to be friends when we were younger, but our mothers having fought over the love of our father had developed a disliking for each other. Ravana's mother and my mother were never happy to see us hanging out with each other, and my mother would often remind me that he is a demon. She told me I should not surround myself with his company, as it can only lead to bad things. Later on I became the King of Lanka, ruling the lands far and wide. A truly beloved ruler. Ravana's mother told Ravana that Gods and demons should never be hanging out together, and that Ravana needed to do something to prove his status."

"Ravana then departed to the forest to pray to Brahma, seeking the throne of Lanka in hopes to overthrow me. I personally do not believe that Ravana wanted this, and it pains me to see my friend and half-brother wish on my demise, but he was being persuaded by his ravaging mother. Brahma, after hearing Ravana's prayers, sent demons to fight me off and take me far away from Lanka. A group of demons came and defeated me, dropping me far away north in the Himalayas. Ravana was now the ruler of Lanka, and I had been exiled from the lands by the commands of Ravana's mother. I then built this palace in these mountains and have resided here ever since, not a soul knows that I am here now, other than you brothers."

The Pandava brothers were in shock of Kubera's life story and how his own half brother could betray him. 

The brothers asked Kubera, "That's cool...but why do you have such a large palace filled with rich jewels and coated in layers of gold if you are the only one here, and why are you considered the God of Wealth?"

Kubera answered, "Oh.....I just have really expensive taste."

Then Kubera along with the Pandava brothers lived happily ever after.

Author's Note: My story is based on the Mahabharata story titled "The Himalayas" where the Pandava brothers are leaving for exile and come across Kubera. In the original story, the brothers do not spend time talking about Kubera and his origins on how he is the God of Wealth. They merely mention him and then continue on with the story. I wanted my story to focus more on the story of Kubera and his origins as I believe his relation to Ravana is important in the bigger picture. I was also just fascinated with Kubera and wished to know more about him, so writing this story allowed me to do further research on him and his life. Some parts of the story have been adjusted slightly, but a majority of his life's story is accurate. 

Bibliography - PDE Mahabharata - The Himalayas

2 comments:

  1. Hey Saad,
    I really enjoyed your version of the story of The Himalayas. I really like how the focus in your story compared to the original focused on that of Kubera. I agree in the original story that they did kind of brush-off the character. For you to shift the focus and the entirety of the story to show parts of his life and his origins. I really like your incorporation of dialogue throughout your story it does a great job of keeping the reader engaged. Your writing style and dialect did a great job of forming this story. Look forward to reading your other works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Saad! Great story! I like how you included an explanation of the original story and how you wanted to write more of the origin of Kubera. I personally did not read the story Himalayas so your explanation helped! Your story was great! I really enjoyed your rendition and how you expanded on the character that original didn't really go into detail about. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Story: 100 Word Story

Satyabrata's Pleasure   "Mom, how come we never get to eat meat?"said Satyabrata. His mother replied, "I can barely affor...