Thursday, November 19, 2020

Week 13 Story: 100 Word Story

Satyabrata's Pleasure 

 "Mom, how come we never get to eat meat?"said Satyabrata. His mother replied, "I can barely afford to feed you vegetables, how am I supposed to get meat?"

Satyabrata took matters into his own hands. He went out and killed a goose to eat.

Later, the King's army came looking for the missing goose. Angered, the King had Satyabrata arrested.

Satyabrata wondered what food they would serve him in prison. Goose, chicken, maybe lamb? He thought prison might not be too bad after all. The prison food was not that bad after all. 

"I like it here" said Satyabrata happily. 




Author's Note - I based this story on the Sacred Tales of India story titled "The Gander Eater" where Satyabrata desires meat but his widowed mother cannot afford it. He goes out and kills a gander, or a goose, and the King comes looking for him. In the story he is imprisoned and eventually is freed by his mothers prayers to the goddess Subachami. He is freed from prison and is then married to the king's daughter to live a life of wealth. In my story, since I only had 100 words, I changed it to where Satyabrata was happy in prison because they fed him meat, something he always wanted. I also thought to have him stay in prison because he was unhappy with his mother for being unable to afford meat. 

Bibliography - The Gander Eater

4 comments:

  1. I love these microfictions so much! They are definitely my favorite thing to read. Also, wow! What a great story based upon the reading. I really enjoyed how you brought up the point that he was eating better in prison than as a peasant, I feel like that is a very real issue that people face in the real world as well. Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I have tried writing microfictions but I did not base them on anything, just made them up. I was intimidated by the idea of retelling a story and having to fit all the essential elements in so few words. But you did a really good job and now I am inspired to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saad,
    This was really fun to read! I liked the ending of the story---it was catchy and unexpected. At first I just thought it was funny and that Satyabrata was a silly character for wanting to stay in prison just because they fed him meat, but after reading Mikayla's comment I realized that it's also a pretty good example of how humor can be used for social commentary.

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Story: 100 Word Story

Satyabrata's Pleasure   "Mom, how come we never get to eat meat?"said Satyabrata. His mother replied, "I can barely affor...