Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues Part A & B

 Reading Notes: 

Bibliography - Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley


Sita pregnant with Rama's twins, Lava and Kusha



  • Honestly, there was not much to note in this video in my opinion, but it was very interesting to see the plot played out in action. I had visuals in my head of what happened when reading the Ramayana before, but this helped me in transforming the words into images. I enjoyed how the story was told through the perspective of Sita, and her way of expressing herself in the video was through songs which was also different than the readings. I think this was a unique way of expressing the story. I also noticed the narration over the story in between the different scenes. This was a good addition as it gave more context as to what was happening and sometimes the narrators expressed their opinions on what was happening. Hearing another perspective and discussion between the three narrators was great to get a deeper understanding of how others may view the story, and how opinions on certain things that happened vary. 
  • It was pretty interesting to see Nina play a role in the story, but I was not too sure of her significance in the whole thing. I guess she was trying to relate to Sita and draw similarities between their love lives. How Dave and Nina were in love similar to Rama and Sita, but then by the end the two had split and Sita begged for Rama back while Nina begged for Dave. It was a cool twist and related it to real life. Overall, it was interesting to see play out. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Saad, I also watched Sita Sings the Blues this week and I really loved it! I noticed the similarities between Sita and Nina too, and I love how Paley was able to weave the two stories together. I hope you enjoyed watching the film! I fell in love with Annette Hanshaw's voice during Sita's blues moments, and I have been listening to her other songs as well. If you are into music, I recommend listening to Hanshaw :). Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Week 13 Story: 100 Word Story

Satyabrata's Pleasure   "Mom, how come we never get to eat meat?"said Satyabrata. His mother replied, "I can barely affor...