Monday, September 7, 2020

Feedback Thoughts

 Feedback Thoughts:

How to get past negativity bias - This article definitely stood out to me the most, more than any of the others because of the way that the author describes the brain as something that is extremely moldable and fixable. I like to support the theory that our brain can be rewired to look at the world in a different way. The author focuses on a method that forces us to relive a happy moment and then attach it to a negative emotion in order to hardwire the positive experiences in our head. This in turn will make us happier and less critical of ourselves. Often times we focus on the small bad over the larger good. This is the wrong way to live, and rewiring our brains can help us leave this habit behind. 

Why it's so hard to hear negative feedback - This article talks about how we as humans tend to shy away from someone or something that will critique us in a negative manner, and how we should instead crave these critiques to better ourselves. The idea is that we avoid certain people sometimes in the workplace or classroom that will tell us that we are doing something wrong, or will tell us how we can do something better. I have definitely found myself doing this throughout my life whether it was in basketball practice or the chemistry lab. In basketball practice I would try and shoot at the goal farthest from where the coaches sat so they could not critique me, maybe because I feared what they would have to say. In chemistry labs I used to shy away from my TA and never make eye contact while doing an experiment because i feared the TA would walk over to my desk and tell me I was doing the experiment wrong or I could do it better another way. The idea that we should crave rather than shy away from positive criticism is something that I will now try and incorporate in my life, and hopefully it will make me better at whatever that is i do. 

Diagram of the human brain - a very complex organ


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 13 Story: 100 Word Story

Satyabrata's Pleasure   "Mom, how come we never get to eat meat?"said Satyabrata. His mother replied, "I can barely affor...